Visit nature’s perfect spectacle in Manali to experience unparalleled natural beauty on your trip. Perched at a height of 3978 meters above sea level, the Rohtang La Pass is a famous vistas point that is widely known among tourists for its serene setting, magical atmosphere, and spellbinding views which are hard to see anywhere else in the country.
It’s one of the highest passes in the Himalayas that has stunning landscapes to leave you breathless and is blessed with excellent route scenery that makes you fall in love with this place all over again. Owing to its spectacular beauty, this pass has also been featured in many hit Bollywood movies and these are named “Yeh Jawani Hai Diwani” and “Jab We Met”.
For those looking for an ideal escapade far away from the chaotic city life and wish to have a cup of tea at a tourist destination that exudes immense attractiveness, Rohtang La Pass is the best option. The clear blue skies, snow-capped mountains, and lush greenery here will tempt you to pack your bags right away and head for a much-needed break you need to relax and rejuvenate.
Things to do at Rohtang La Pass, Manali
Out of various thrilling adventures that are available in Rohtang La Pass, there are a few recreational sports that you cannot miss at any cost here. These are as follows:
1. Trekking: Experience the joy of trekking amidst the picturesque trails which Rohtang La Pass offers for its trekkers. On your way, you’re sure to get awe-struck by lush greenery, pristine waterfalls, beautiful glaciers, and undisturbed panoramic views.
Out of many trails, the Manali-Lahaul pass trek is considered as the most-favorable trek among thrill-seekers wanting to experience some adrenaline rush in their body. Other than that, you can also give a shot to Batal to Jalori pass trek, Gulaba to Bhrigu Lake trek, and Batal to Rohtang pass trek. Though these are a bit challenging but worth-trying and surely deserve your presence.
2. Skiing: Get ready to fill your day with fun, excitement, thrill, and happiness by enjoying skiing in the foothills of the Himalayas in Rohtang La Pass. An excellent destination for skiing lovers, Rohtang La Pass attracts thousands of daredevils every year to roll themselves into the thick cover of snow and spend a great time with their loved ones.
It’s undoubtedly a great pleasure to ski at such a high elevation here between the hills. The mountains at Rohtang La Pass are home to several skiing companies. If you are new to it, you can get assistance from trainers to have a gala time while skiing. Visitors with a solid grasp of skiing are encouraged to come to this region.
3. Paragliding: There is nothing like flying high in the air and looking over the panoramic view of the astonishing snow-capped Himalayan mountains as you slide down through the beautiful valley. It is one of the must-try activities in Rohtang La Pass that delight adventure enthusiasts wanting to do something out-of-the-box to add some fun and excitement to their Manali tour.
Make sure to take the required training you need to make the most out of this outdoor sport. Here you’ll find several experienced and professional trainers who explain to you everything about it in detail.
4. Mountain Biking: If you don’t mind riding bicycles over tough, rugged terrains, then you should definitely indulge in mountain biking when visiting Rohtang La Pass. Perfect for bikers, this adventurous sport will give a kind of experience you cannot forget for your entire life.
While biking, you will get a chance to discover the unseen wonders and admire the natural beauty at its best. To enjoy it to the fullest, carry all the necessary stuff such as good sports shoes, sunscreen, regular medicines, raincoats, and extra socks in your bag.
5. Snow Scooter Driving: Snow Scooter Rides are available at Rohtang La Pass for relaxed outings. To experience it, you have the option of driving it by yourself or with a driver. Tourists who sign up for this activity will have everything they need. However, there are a few items that you’ll need to bring anyway and these are layered clothing, winter footwear, and gloves.
Rohtang pass is located at a great elevation. Therefore, feeling nauseous is normal. When you are getting lightheaded, avoid taking the trip. Obey every instruction provided by the instructor. If this is your first attempt, avoid attempting to ride by yourself.
6. Photography: Who wouldn’t want to capture photos at a place that is encompassed by the magnificent Himalayas, clear blue skies, and pristine snow? Heaven for photographers, the jaw-dropping scenery of Rohtang La Pass draws the attention of shutterbugs from all over the world to click some Instagrammable worthy pictures you can cherish forever. Ensure that you have a good quality camera with you. Otherwise, you’ll regret it.
Other than these things, you can also plan to explore the nearby areas around Rohtang La Pass if interested and have time. These include Solang Valley, Rahala Waterfalls, Chandra and Bhaga Rivers, Lahaul and Spiti Valley, and Khoksar Village.
Entry Fee and Timings of Rohtang La Pass, Manali
To visit the Rohtang La Pass, you’ll need to obtain a special permit from the government authorities of Himachal Pradesh State. It’s mandatory for everyone traveling to this location. Luckily, you can apply for it online at the Himachal Tourism website and the pass will be valid for only 24 hours.
Please note that the government grants a limited number of passes every day. That simply means that you need to plan your trip in advance and get the permit as soon as possible. To apply for the permit, the following are the documents you’ll need to submit:
- ID Proof
- Up-to-date vehicle pollution certificate
- Vehicle registration paperwork
There is a charge of INR 500 for every vehicle along with INR 50 as a congestion fee that you must pay to head towards your destined destination. Also, keep in mind that no vehicles including two-wheelers and 4-wheelers are allowed to travel to Rohtang La Pass on Tuesday as the road is closed for much-needed maintenance every week.
Coming to its timings, Rohtang La Pass opens its door for its tourists for a certain period of time i.e., from May to October or from June to October depending on the overall weather conditions. So, it’s common to see visitors in large numbers over there. Due to the huge influx of people, the narrow lanes sometimes get jam-packed with intense traffic quickly for hours. You need to be patient and keep some additional time aside every time you plan to visit it.
Travel Tips for Visiting Rohtang La Pass, Manali
- Aim to reach Rohtang La Pass in the daylight itself. This is because, in the evening, it gets difficult to drive on the route that takes you to your desired location. Hence, we recommend you start early in the morning so that you can come back on time.
- Make sure you bring adequate woolen clothes as the region gets cold and chilly in the evening. Additionally, it’s also advised to pack a tea or coffee machine along with some snacks to satisfy your little hunger pangs.
- Buy snow clothes and other skiing equipment from authorized dealers only. In case you’re planning to rent from somewhere else, do compare the prices with the prices fixed by the Himachal government.
- You can experience altitude sickness due to its height. For such a situation, carry the required medicines.
- Whether you’re driving or hiking through Rohtang La Pass, ensure you have someone experienced to guide you on the way.
Best Time to Visit Rohtang La Pass, Manali
One can plan a getaway to Rohtang La Pass at any time between May/June to October as this is the only time when it is accessible to its tourists. The average temperature, at this time, ranges from 20 degrees Celsius to 32-degree Celsius, thus making it convenient for travelers to go on a sightseeing tour and indulge in various adventurous activities to enjoy their visit to the fullest.
How to Reach Rohtang La Pass, Manali?
Located at a distance of approximately 51 km away from Manali, Rohtang La Pass maintains excellent connectivity to its neighboring towns via road and can be easily covered by local transport.
You can either catch a private or a state-owned bus from the center of the town to get to Rohtang La Pass at pocket-friendly prices or simply book a cab from the list of top car rental companies in Manali to commute within the hill station leisurely. Since it is one of the highest mountain passes, it’s always advised to move forward with someone who has enough experience in driving through the rugged, terrain mountains.
And now, the following are the different ways to reach Manali:
By Air: Kullu-Manali Airport in Bhuntar is the nearest airport to Rohtang La Pass and it is nearly 100 km away. You can also opt to fly to Chandigarh Airport in case your city doesn’t ply flight services to Bhuntar Airport. For international travelers, the Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi is the best feasible option as it receives frequent flights from the majority of the countries on an everyday basis.
By Train: Another way is via train. For this, you’ll need to catch a train to Joginder Nagar Railway Station to experience a comfortable train journey to Manali. After deboarding your train there, you’ll find several options that will help you reach Rohtang La Pass in your comfort. Depending on your budget, you can go ahead with whatever suits you the best.
By Bus: There are several luxury AC and non-AC buses that are operated by HRTC and HPTDC departments to and from Manali for your convenience. These buses connect Manali to the rest of the cities of North India via NH21. Despite being a long journey, many travelers prefer this mode of transportation as the overall journey looks scenic and mesmerizing when they pass through the verdant landscapes with the river Beas flowing on one side.
Manali is one of the popular hill stations in India that is rich in cultural heritage and there is no better way to explore it than availing our all-inclusive Manali tour packages. We at Manali Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA, present different kinds of travel packages to cater to everyone’s varied holiday needs. Our travel packages can also be altered as per your preferences.
At Holidays DNA, we strive to offer the best of our services so that you can have the best time of your life on your vacation. Ask our professionals to create an itinerary covering the famous sightseeing places in Manali and we’ll be happy to do that for you. What’s more? Please fill out the Contact Us form to know more about us and the ongoing travel deals.