The Pin Valley National Park is a quaint and enchanting park perched in the cold desert region of the Spiti Valley. It’s a beautiful location that is widely famous among tourists for its calmness and serenity.
Spreading over 675 square meters of an area and resting at a height that ranges between 3300 and 6632 meters above sea level, the Pin Valley National Park is a hidden gem that has been catching the attention of travelers from all over the world due to its sheer beauty and variety of natural landscape features.
The sprawling fields with abundant lush greenery all around the area allow you to enjoy a magnificent view of the valley and the mountains surrounding it make it look even more charming during the season of snowfall.
If you’re someone who enjoys spending time in tranquility, far away from the maddening crowd, and loves admiring nature, then this heavenly site is a must-visit tourist attraction for you. Include it in your itinerary list to make the Manali tour worth cherishing for you and your family members.
Flora and Fauna of Pin Valley National Park, Manali
The flora of Pin Valley National Park is mainly characterized by dry alpine scrub forest that is worth exploring in this region. It includes Populus, Salix, Juniper tree, Birch tree, Bhutal, Bhojpatra, and Myricaria Shrubs to name a few. Some of these plants are used by local pharmacists for the preparation of various medicines as well.
Coming to fauna, this park provides shelter to more than 20 species of different animals. Out of all, Snow Leopard is the one that attracts wildlife enthusiasts from far and near every day. Other animals such as Golden Eagle Raven, Red Fox, Weasels, Himalayan Black Bear, Himalayan Brown Bear, Blue Sheep, Tibetan Gazzle, Siberian Ibex, and Marten also call this place their home.
Here you can also spot 12 big cats along with a plethora of bird species that visit this park in the summer season. These include Himalayan Chough, Snow Pigeon, Raven, Snow Cock, Blue Rock Pigeon, Griffon, Bearded Vulture, and many more. So, if you happen to visit this place at that time, you can see them moving from here to there.
Things to do at Pin Valley National Park, Manali
Wondering what to do at Pin Valley National Park other than admiring the jaw-dropping views and capturing the pictures of the exotic wildlife? Well, if you’re an adventure freak, there are several adventurous activities available in the park that you can pull off to enjoy your visit to the fullest. Some of them are as follows:
1. Trekking: Enjoy trekking to bring out the hidden adventurous talent in you. Considered as one of the most popular things to do in the area, this activity allows you to witness the picturesque sights around the mountains and can be enjoyed by both beginners and experts. Some of the best-known treks are Pin Parvati Trek and Bhaba Pass Trek.
2. Camping: Another thing that is as fascinating as trekking in Pin Valley Park is camping. You can choose to camp at this location to enjoy an overnight stay amidst the freezing landscapes of the Spiti Valley. However, you’ll need to bring your sleeping bag and a tent to experience the best of camping here.
3. River Rafting: The next thrilling outdoor sport is river rafting. You can try your hand at river rafting in the Spiti River to feel an adrenaline rush in your body. Riding the rapid waves as you cross the vast landscapes, mountains, emerald hills, and lush greenery is an experience of a lifetime and it will surely make the overall visit worthwhile for you.
4. Photography: Heaven for photographers, the Pin Valley National Park offers several opportunities for shutterbugs to capture some amazing shots of the region, with a breathtaking background at the backdrop. You can click as many pictures as you want. In case you’re traveling alone, don’t hesitate to ask others to capture a few of your pictures in the camera.
Entry Fee and Timings of Pin Valley National Park, Manali
To visit Pin Valley Park, you don’t need to pay anything. It can be visited by tourists at any time of the year as the park remains open from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM on all days except on national holidays.
Travel Tips for Visiting Pin Valley National Park, Manali
- Buy the right pair of shoes to make the most of your visit to this high-altitude location.
- Make sure that you’re medically fit to embark on a trekking journey in this park.
- Purchase raincoats as they’re a must during the monsoon season.
- Hire a well-trained local guide to have a great time with your friends/families at Pin Valley Park.
- As there are no eateries available around the place, it’s always recommended to carry your own food and water along with you during the trek.
- Pack a good quality warm jacket along with a hat, cap, and a muffler in your bag irrespective of the season you are traveling in.
- Do not forget to bring your usual medicines and the first aid kit for the way. You never know when you need them.
- In case you wish to do photography here, it is important to carry the extra batteries for your camera as there is no facility of electricity in this park.
- Obtain all the permits in advance to avoid any confusion later. It is said that a special permit is required to cover a distance of 40 km from the Tibetan border when visiting this region.
Best Time to Visit Pin Valley National Park, Manali
July to October is considered as an ideal time to visit the Pin Valley National Park in Manali. The temperature ranges from 10-degree Celsius to 16-degree Celsius at this time, making it favorable for tourists to explore the beauty of this region.
Please note that this hill station tends to receive heavy showers of rain during this period and when it is raining, it gets difficult for tourists to try their hand at trekking. That simply means if you’re visiting Pin Valley Park to bring out the best of adventure in you, you can plan a getaway in the winter season as well and see how it looks even more mesmerizing draped in a sheet of white snowfall.
How to Reach Pin Valley National Park, Manali?
The Pin Valley National Park is located in Spiti Valley in Himachal Pradesh state. It doesn’t have its own airport and railway station and hence, cannot be directly accessed by tourists via flights or trains. This is the main reason why people prefer to travel to Spiti via a road trip.
To reach Spiti, you can choose from the 2 routes, one is via Manali and the other one is via Shimla. From Manali, you can catch a bus or a private taxi from the list of top car rental companies in Manali to get to Kaza through Rohtang Pass and Kunzum Pass. The distance between Kaza and Spiti Valley is only 6 km and can be easily covered on foot. Note that this road remains closed for most of the year due to the snowfall and is open only from July to October. So, if you’re traveling to Spiti at this time, it is best to take this route.
Another route that starts from Shimla takes you to your destination via the Kinnaur district. This road can be accessed by tourists all around the year. It means that you don’t need to worry about anything when you’re following this route.
Have a great time on your Manali tour with our all-inclusive Manali tour packages. We at Manali Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA, offer a variety of travel packages to cater to everyone’s varied holiday needs. Depending on your duration and budget, you can ask our team to add a personal touch to the packages and customize them the way you want.
At Holidays DNA, we also present our tourists with various deals so that you can enjoy your trip at reasonable prices. What else? For us, your happiness matters the most and we do everything to bring a smile to your face. In case you wish to know more about our services, please fill out the Contact Us form. One of our representatives will get back to you soon.